Warm Caramel and Pecan Pudding Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) water warm
- 2 cups (500 ml) 35% cream warm
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) toasted pecans chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tsps (7.5 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- In a saucepan, bring sugar and 60 ml (¼ cup) of water to a boil. Cook without stirring until caramel turns an amber colour. Off the heat, add remaining water (180 ml/¾ cup). Gradually add cream. Beware of splattering. Add pecans and mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil and pour into a 2-litre (8-cup) soufflé dish or square pan. Set aside.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F)
- In a bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. With an ice cream scoop, form balls of batter and place on pecan caramel. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. This pudding is delicious warm or cold.
Share this Recipe